Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Iconic Buildings in Southern California

Hollywoodland Reality
 Design has always been I subject I enjoy photographing. Architectural design has fascinated me since I first picked up a camera. It seems to me that a building is a snapshot of the design aesthetic of the time it was built. Remodeling and additions add subsequent styles into the mix adding a sometimes surreal element. The Photograph on the left is of the Hollywoodland reality office (originally the Hollywoodland sales office) built in 1923. You can find a lot of great photos and history about the building (and the Hollywood sign) on their page.
Hollywood Tower
Some buildings can be better known for their fictitious counterparts then for the real building.  The picture on the right is the infamous Hollywood Tower. Known to most people as the inspiration for the Disney Hollywood Tower of Terror ride. Of course the real building looks little like the ride. I have never actually been inside the building, but I have heard countless tales of it being haunted. I suppose the rumors of ghostly residents, along with the foreboding style of the architecture, is where Disney came up with the idea.
Pasadena Suicide Bridge
The next photograph I have today is of the "Suicide bridge" in Pasadena. Built in 1913, several people jumped to their death from this bridge in the early 20th century (and continue to do so). There is a famous story of a woman who leapt from the bridge after tossing her 3 year old daughter over. The child was the only person to ever survive the plunge. (read more about that here). This picture shows the advent of progress, and the change in style for the same structure. In the foreground is a modern freeway overpass (the Arroyo Seco bridge). Although obviously built with cues leading back to the original bridge, its style is different.


* Check out my other blog for some real cool vintage photos
view my website daviddefino.com
buy my prints at Deviant Art
buy accessories with my photos
follow me on twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment